Contractors to start work in 2024 on Saudi Landbridge

21 November 2023

 

Register for MEED's guest programme 

Saudi Arabia is preparing to start work on the $7bn Saudi Landbridge project early next year, as the negotiations for the final cost and financing of the project reach the closing stages.

"After the official announcement by the National Industrial Development & Logistics Programme (NIDLP) on Tuesday, the project is expected to be live early next year," a source close to the project told MEED.

In a report published by the local Arabic daily Aliqtisadia on Tuesday 21 November, Suleiman al-Mazrou, CEO of the NIDLP, said that the negotiations regarding the implementation of the project have reached advanced stages.

Earlier this year, Transport & Logistics Minister Saleh al-Jasser said in a forum in Riyadh that Saudi authorities are undertaking negotiations with the Saudi China Landbridge Consortium (SLCC) to determine the final cost and financing of the project.

The SLCC signed a memorandum of understanding to implement the project on a public-private partnership basis in October 2018. The SLCC was formed by Saudi Railway Company (SAR) and China Civil Engineering Construction Company.

Al-Ayuni Contracting was named as the local partner for the consortium. Other members include French firms Systra and Thales; Canada’s WSP; Aldhabaan & Partners, the local partner of UK legal consultancy Eversheds & Sutherland; ALG Infrastructure; and Calx Consultancy.

Landbridge lines

The Saudi Landbridge project is one of the largest infrastructure projects planned in Saudi Arabia. The scheme is being implemented by the SAR.

It comprises six lines. The first line involves the upgrade of the Jubail Industrial City internal network, which is currently under construction. It will require 10 kilometres (km) of track to be built.

The second is the upgrade of the Jubail to Dammam railway line, which is also currently under construction. It will require 35km of track to be built.

The third line involves the upgrade of the Dammam to Riyadh railway line, with 87km of track to be built. 

The fourth line, which is known as the Riyadh bypass, is from the existing network in the north of the city to the south. It is split into two packages, the first has 67km of track and the second has 35km.

The fifth line is a link from Riyadh to Jeddah and then on to King Abdullah Port with three stations at Jamuma, Moya and Al-Doadmi. The Riyadh to Jeddah line will have 920km of track and the Jeddah to King Abdullah Port link will have 146km of track.

The sixth line is a new 172km line from King Abdullah Port to Yanbu Industrial City.

There will also be seven logistics centres: Jubail Industrial City Logistics Centre, Damman Logistics Dry Port, a relocated Riyadh Dry Port, King Khalid Airport Logistics Centre in Riyadh, Jeddah Logistics Dry Port, King Abdullah Port Logistics Centre and Yanbu Industrial City Logistics Centre.

In October 2022, MEED reported that the SAR had received bids from firms to provide project management services for the Saudi Landbridge project. The frontrunner for the contract is a team of Italy’s Italferr with Spain’s Sener and US-based Hill International.

The Landbridge is one of Saudi Arabia’s most anticipated infrastructure projects. Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz al-Saud confirmed the government’s commitment to the Landbridge project in June 2021, when he launched the National Transport & Logistics Strategy.

Plans to develop the Landbridge were announced in 2004, but were then put on hold in 2010. They were revived again in 2011.

MEED previously reported that Saudi Arabia and China will continue working together on the Saudi Landbridge project.

In a joint statement at the end of Chinese President Xi Jinping’s visit to Saudi Arabia on 9 December 2022, the two countries said: “Regarding the transportation and logistics field, the two sides stressed the importance of enhancing cooperation and joint action on developing the air and sea transport sectors, modern transport modes and railways, and expediting the completion of studies on the Saudi Landbridge project.”

https://image.digitalinsightresearch.in/uploads/NewsArticle/11314692/main.png
Yasir Iqbal
Related Articles
  • Local contractor wins $143m Jeddah sewage contracts

    19 February 2026

    Register for MEED’s 14-day trial access 

    Saudi Arabia’s National Water Company (NWC) has awarded two sewage network contracts worth a combined SR536.3m ($143m) to local contractor Civil Works Company.

    The projects will be implemented over 32 months from site handover and will serve northern Jeddah districts.

    The first contract, valued at SR278.5m ($74.3m), covers incomplete main lines and secondary sewage networks serving parts of the Al-Bashair, Al-Asala and Al-Falah neighbourhoods.

    The scope includes pipelines ranging from 200mm to 800mm in diameter with a total length of about 54.8 kilometres (km).

    The package also includes sewage tunnels with diameters ranging from 600mm to 1,800mm and a total length of approximately 6.5km. Works will also serve the Taybah, Abhar Al-Shamaliyah and Al-Hamdaniyah districts.

    The second contract is valued at SR257.8m ($68.8m). It covers the implementation of main lines and sub-networks to serve part of the Al-Hamdaniya neighbourhood.

    The works include pipelines ranging from 200mm to 1,500mm in diameter with a total length of about 78.5km. The scope also includes horizontal drilling works for sewage tunnels with diameters from 1,200mm to 1,400mm and a total length of approximately 205 metres.

    https://image.digitalinsightresearch.in/uploads/NewsArticle/15699620/main.jpg
    Mark Dowdall
  • Saudi Arabia prequalifies firms for gas transmission grids

    19 February 2026

    Register for MEED’s 14-day trial access 

    Saudi Arabia's Energy Ministry has prequalified companies to develop natural gas distribution networks in five industrial cities in the kingdom on a build-own-operate (BOO) basis.

    The industrial zones earmarked are Al-Kharj Industrial City; Sudair City for Industry and Business; and the First, Second and Third Industrial Cities in Jeddah, the Energy Ministry said in a statement.

    The contractors prequalified to bid for the natural gas transmission grids BOO scheme include eight standalone firms and seven consortiums:

    • East Gas (Egypt)
    • Natural Gas Distribution Company (Saudi Arabia)
    • Egyptian Kuwaiti Advanced Operation and Maintenance (Saudi Arabia)
    • Modern Gas (Egypt)
    • Saab Energy Solutions (Saudi Arabia)
    • Sergas Contracting (Saudi Arabia)
    • Bharat Petroleum Corporation (India)
    • UniGas Arabia (Saudi Arabia)
    • Best Gas Carrier / Khazeen / Mubadra (Saudi Arabia)
    • Al Sharif Contracting (Saudi Arabia) / Anton Oilfield Services Group (China) China Oil and Gas Group
    • Hulul (owned by Saudi Arabia’s National Gas and Industrialization Company) /Al-Fanar Gas Group (UAE)
    • Indraprastha Gas (India) / Masah Contracting (Saudi Arabia)
    • Expertise Contracting / PGL Pipelines (UK)
    • National Gas Company (Egypt) / Egypt Gas (Egypt)
    • Taqa Arabia (Egypt) / Taqa Group (UAE)

    The Energy Ministry has set a deadline of 23 April for these prequalified contractors to submit technical bids.

    The ministry added in its statement that it has identified a total of 36 industrial cities in Saudi Arabia for gas infrastructure development.

    https://image.digitalinsightresearch.in/uploads/NewsArticle/15699582/main0334.png
    Indrajit Sen
  • Veolia wins Jordan water services contract

    18 February 2026

    Register for MEED’s 14-day trial access 

    France's Veolia has signed a four-year performance-based management contract with the Water Authority of Jordan to support water and wastewater services in the country’s northern governorates.

    Under the contract, Veolia will provide operations, maintenance and management services to Yarmouk Water Company, the public utility responsible for water supply and wastewater services in the region.

    The agreement covers Irbid, Jerash, Ajloun and Mafraq, an area spanning nearly 30,000 square kilometres and covering about 3 million people.

    The scope includes water and wastewater operations, maintenance, billing and collection, and customer service.

    According to the firm, the performance-based structure prioritises measurable improvements, including service delivery, cost efficiency and revenue management.

    The company said it will deploy technical and management specialists to support operations, rehabilitation works and investment initiatives.

    The contract builds on Veolia’s existing operational role in Jordan’s water sector. The company operates the Disi-Amman scheme, which supplies about 100 million cubic metres of drinking water a year, under an operations and maintenance contract.

    It also operates the Al-Samra wastewater treatment plant, which produces about 133 million cubic metres of treated wastewater annually for agricultural reuse.

    https://image.digitalinsightresearch.in/uploads/NewsArticle/15684109/main0535.jpg
    Mark Dowdall
  • SAR tenders phosphate rail project management deal

    18 February 2026

     

    Register for MEED’s 14-day trial access 

    Saudi Arabian Railways (SAR) has floated another tender inviting firms to bid for a contract covering the project management consultancy services for its Phosphate 3 rail programme.

    The tender was issued on 15 February with a bid submission deadline of 5 April.

    The contract duration is 54 months.

    The latest tender follows SAR floating a multibillion-riyal tender to double the tracks on the existing phosphate transport railway network connecting the Waad Al-Shamal mines to Ras Al-Khair in the kingdom’s Eastern Province.

    The tender – covering the second section of the track-doubling works, spanning more than 150 kilometres (km) – was issued on 9 February. The bid submission deadline is 15 April.

    Earlier this month, MEED reported that SAR received bids from contractors on 1 February for the project’s first phase, which spans about 100km from the AZ1/Nariyah Yard to Ras Al-Khair.

    The scope includes track doubling, alignment modifications, new utility bridges, culvert widening and hydrological structures, as well as the conversion of the AZ1 siding into a mainline track.

    The scope also covers support for signalling and telecommunications systems.

    The tender notice was issued in late November with a bid submission deadline of 20 January.

    Switzerland-based engineering firm ARX is the project consultant.

    MEED understands that SAR is expected to tender a total of four packages for the phosphate railway line.

    The other packages expected to be tendered shortly include the depot and the systems package.

    In 2023, MEED reported that SAR was planning two projects to increase its freight capacity, including an estimated SR4.2bn ($1.1bn) project to install a second track along the North Train freight line and construct three new freight yards.

    Formerly known as the North-South Railway, the North Train is a 1,550km-long freight line running from the phosphate and bauxite mines in the far north of the kingdom to the Al-Baithah junction. There, it diverges into a line southwards to Riyadh and a second line running east to downstream fertiliser production and alumina refining facilities at Ras Al-Khair on the Gulf coast.

    Adding a second track and the freight yards will significantly increase the network’s cargo-carrying capacity and facilitate increased industrial production. Project implementation is expected to take four years.

    State-owned SAR is also considering increasing the localisation of railway materials and equipment, including the construction of a cement sleeper manufacturing facility.

    https://image.digitalinsightresearch.in/uploads/NewsArticle/15684025/main.jpg
    Yasir Iqbal
  • PIF-backed firm signs worker accommodation deal

    17 February 2026

    Register for MEED’s 14-day trial access 

    Saudi Arabia's Smart Accommodation for Residential Complexes Company (Sarcc) has signed an agreement with Riyadh-based Mawref Company to develop a 12,000-bed worker accommodation project in North Riyadh.

    The project will cover about 120,000 square metres (sq m), with a total built-up area of 150,000 sq m.

    The development is expected to cost over SR669m ($178m), with the first phase slated for completion in 2029.

    Sarcc is backed by the Public Investment Fund (PIF), the Saudi sovereign wealth vehicle.

    The agreement follows Sarcc signing another agreement in September last year with privately-owned local firm Tamimi Global Company to explore collaboration in developing worker accommodation facilities in the kingdom.

    The PIF launched Sarcc in October 2024 with the aim of developing and operating staff housing and accommodation assets in the kingdom.

    Sarcc will develop and operate the staff accommodation facilities at major construction projects in Saudi Arabia.

    The company will seek opportunities to invest in the sector to strengthen staff housing standards. Sarcc will also look to engage the private sector by enabling investment and partnership opportunities in sectors including construction, catering, transportation and retail.

    https://image.digitalinsightresearch.in/uploads/NewsArticle/15672262/main.gif
    Yasir Iqbal